Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Decision

I want to see the world, but I'm not flying first class. I have figure out ways to live and travel for cheap while on the road.

My ride was a 1992 Ford Explorer - 16 miles per gallon

Distance to California from New Jersey - 3,145 miles

Gas Price at the time - 3.35

Dollars in my bank account - 315 and 47 cents

I couldn't even make it to Houston to tell them I had a problem.

What to do? I need another way.


Walking-biking-hitch-hiking...all good, but none allow me the freedom of movement I want on the road.

Moped

130 miles per gallon -- That's a start.

$1,500 - Alright.

35 miles per hour - flat tire. A cross country trip could take months I don't have.

After more searching for nitrous injected Mopeds and glorified go-carts, I come across the transportation machine known as the Motor Scooter.

Brand names like Vespa, Lambetta, and Piaggio spawned images of a tanned Charlton Heston riding half-naked on 1960s beaches. I immediately closed my browser-yet, the thought lingered, not of Heston, but the crossbreeding of moped and motorcycle. A beast incapable of reproduction, but perfectly capable of attaining speeds over 60 miles an hour at an incredible 80 miles per gallon. So, I stepped in to Philadelphia Scooters, sat down on one of their brand new Genuine Buddy 125's, and made a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment