Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Nevada Night


Nevada Night, originally uploaded by Bog Iron Pines.

I drove 90 miles through the desert at night, but it was not a wise decision. When I turned off the scooter to sit for a moment the only lights were the moon and the stars. The land was so quiet I could hear without disruption the damage to my right ear drum that happened from an ear infection when I was little. Back on the road, the darkness and the nothingness started to get to me. Jack rabbits darted across the road in pairs and always scared me. Getting too tired to drive about 45 miles in the route I had to pull off before another mountain pass, but the sand was soft and at about 0.5 miles per hour I dropped the buddy on the ground. Frustrated-tired-I pulled out my tent and went to sleep. When I got up I continued another 50 miles until I reached the Great Basin National park Utah Rob had suggested I stop at. In the morning, I drove and then hiked to the top of the mountain where there is a grove of thousand year old Bristlecone pines. They are a Gnarly bunch that grow so slow that the oldest tree there at 3,000 years old was only 16 feet tall. I wondered what it would be like to be that old and I came to the decision that it would be awfully boring, especially stuck in one spot the whole time. They should get out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment